Wednesday, January 26, 2011

4-Week Challenge

Today's Recess was a new re-beginning. I say that because I'm ready to work and motivated to improve my performance as an athlete, a coach, and a future CrossFit affiliate owner. I also say that because it's been a while since I have had a workout wind me like today's.

I wanted to start the first Recess Time with something difficult, but not discouraging and something that would be long(+/- 20:00 minute range) but not Murph long. I chose two huge weaknesses of mine (OHS and Push-ups) and one strength (DU's). Out of these three movements, I'm assuming you are able to choose at least one weakness and one strength (or at least one movement that you enjoy more than the others).

The purpose of today's recess was to introduce a 4-Week Challenge to improve our OHS, Push-ups, and DU's. During this 4-Week Challenge, Recess time will include workouts that focus on improving squat/core strength(specifically OH Squats), upper body endurance (push-ups), and conditioning and coordination (DU's). At the end of our 4-Week Challenge we will re-visit today's Recess to gauge our performance, the victor is the athlete who cuts off the most time...and to the victor goes the spoils (spoils to be determined, but it will be fit for a true gladiator).

Do you accept the challenge?

I'm looking forward to 2/23/11 (and every day in between); are you?

Tomorrow's Recess:

21-15-9
Thrusters (Front squat/push press hybrid)
Barbell rows
Run 200 meters between each set (example: 21 thrusters, 21 BB rows, Run 200 meters, so you will run a total of 600 meters).

16 comments:

vandalPT said...

I'm in.
You and your DUs... I'm jealous.
I assume you are allowing individuals to cater their resistance per their abilities. If you would, mention your specs.

Patrick said...

Sure thing. I meant to put my specs on tomorrow's WOD, but forgot. I will be doing 75 lbs for the thrusters and barbell rows (75 lbs is my max unless I use DBs, so I will probably be doing a lot of 75ers).

Patrick said...

I guess we should have a cool name for this 4-Week Challenge; any suggestions?

Jennifer said...

I accept. And I think 4-Week Challenge is pretty clever.

Brad said...

I think instead of naming these after military heroes we should name them after rappers. That way when I do the workout with their name on it I won't hate them any more than I already do. P-Diddy is my first vote.

Jennifer said...

10:54
Scaled 15-12-9
45# BB

Front squats can join Greg's DUs in hell. I cried during my last set of thrusters. Are you proud Coach?

Jennifer said...

My vote is Missy Elliot.

Elizabeth said...

7:46
21-15-9
15 Ib. DB for rows
light bar for thrusters
-I know I need to use more weight

Patrick said...

7:09
75 lbs for thrusters and rows

Do a good stretch today.

Patrick said...

Oh yeah, as far as rappers go, didn't P-Diddy serve in the military? I thought he was a Desert Storm hero...but I still hate him, so he gets my vote...and we can see if we can end up hating the challenge worse than P-Diddy--great idea Brad.

P.S. Just kidding about P-Diddy's military service.

Patrick said...

One more thing. For the challenge, take before and after pics. Take them today, so you can see the results of our challenge. You don't have to show them if you don't want to, it's more for you to see the difference.

Brad, I know you're going to want to be nude when you take your pic, but for the benefit of the community, it may be better to wear at least wear some briefs. Realistically, you're not going to see much change in that region in 4-weeks anyway; it takes a lot longer than that (no pun intended). On the other hand, the less clothes you wear, the more noticeable the results will be...suffice it to say, I look forward to seeing your pic.

But really, guys shirts off. Girls tight clothes or sports bra if you want.

Brad said...

Brazilian speedo it is...and I will be sharing it.

vandalPT said...

9:10 using 35# db -- me

Colette's time----yes that is correct, this was her third WOD --- 15/10 # db and 20 sit-ups instead of running.
8:20

The twins insinst on their own workout. Various squats, pu, and what Brock referred to as "doing hiccups" (meaning burpees) probably describing more how I do them. So it's become a family affair.

Patrick said...

Welcome Colette! Nice work on those WODs. I love that you whooped Greg by almost a full minute.

Jennifer said...

Yeah Vandal Family!! Way to put the pressure on the rest of us.

Also, I change my vote. Diddy made Ke$ha famous. That deserves some kind of punishment.

Brad said...

15 lb for thrusters
65 lb for BB rows
8:15