Friday, February 4, 2011

Saturday is a special day...

Okay folks, my intention of Saturdays is to be primarily a skill practice day. With that in mind, I suggest you choose one or two goals that you would like to work on and improve your performance in those areas. That's the main reason that I do mile runs every Saturday; I really want to improve my mile time. If you choose to do the Saturday milers and skill practice I program, that's great, otherwise choose one or two goals that you would like to work on for the next 1-6 months. Let the community know on the comments with updates each Saturday, so we can see what you are doing and give you some support.

My Recess tomorrow:

Run 1-mile
Skill practice: clean and jerk

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat, how would you suggest improving your mile time? Just running it each saturday and trying to improve? Do you go to a track? I want to be like you.

Patrick said...

Karen,

I want to be like you too. If I could do push-ups the way you do, I would be very happy.

For improving my mile, the following seems to work for me:

1. Run 1-mile each week. Push yourself hard and try to beat your time every week. I like running it on Saturday as kind of an active rest day from my strength-training.

2. Do interval training 2-3 times per week. This may include 10 sets of 100 or 200 meter sprints, 4x400 meter sprints, ladders, etc. Basically, breaking the mile down into smaller increments where you can really lay on the heat.

3. Do workouts with conditioning drills like double-unders, box jumps, stair and hill climbs, etc. Also, high-intensity resistance training is key to improving any physical activity in my opinion.

4. Strategically, start your mile running like a bat out of heck from the second you hit the start button on your watch and try to keep that pace the entire mile. If I don't start my mile super fast when I'm full of energy, there is no way I can make up that time later in the mile; it's just too hard to pick it up in the middle of the mile. However, if I start as fast as I can, I have that reference point to refer back to when I am in the middle of the mile and can push harder to stay at that pace.

5. Run with someone just a little bit faster than you and try to keep up with them.

Hope this helps. Post your times on the comments each Saturday.

Patrick said...

1-mile run: 5:57

If you're ever wondering if it's a good idea to run a mile after stuffing your face with 5 Guys...it's NOT!